Reading Comprehension: Excerpt from Herodotus' Histories
1. What are the names of the three interlocutors, and what form of government does each man support?
2. What criticism of monarchy is provided? Explain what two vices in particular are attributed to monarchic rule.
3. Explain why democratic rule is considered to be the best alternative.
4. What argument is offered in favour of oligarchic rule? Explain.
5. Detail the criticism that is launched against democratic rule.
6. Why is monarchy touted as the best sort of regime? Explain.
7. What is seen as the particular problem with oligarchy? Explain.
8. Which form of government is considered the best by the majority of the Persians at the meeting?
9. What special deal does Otanes strike with the others and why?