Revising Passive Constructions
Re-write the following sentences in the active voice, whenever appropriate.
1. Before the semester was over, the new nursing program had been approved by the Curriculum Committee and the Board of Trustees.
2. With five seconds left in the game, an illegal time-out was called by one of the players.
3. Later in the day, the employees were informed of their loss of benefits by the boss herself.
4. The major points of the lesson were quickly learned by the class, but they were also quickly forgotten by them.
5. For several years, Chauncey was raised by his elderly grandmother.
6. An unexpected tornado smashed several homes and uprooted
trees in a suburb of
7. I was surprised by the teacher's lack of sympathy.
8. "The Yellow Wallpaper" was written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
9. Participants in the survey were asked about their changes in political affiliation.
10. Tall buildings and mountain roads were avoided by Raoul because he had such a fear of heights.