Of Mice and Men: Chapter 4 Reading and Study Guide
I. VOCABULARY: Be able to define the following words and understand them when they appear in the novel.
II. LITERARY TERMS: Be able to define each term and apply each term to the novel.
III. QUESTIONS: answer the following questions. Use complete sentences.
1. What are two books that Crooks owns?
2. How does Crooks react to Lennie when he comes to visit?
3. For what reason did Lennie come to the barn?
4. Where is George?
5. What do we learn about Crooks family?
6. What does Lennie tell Crooks, even though he probably shouldn’t have?
7. What is Crook’s opinion of George and Lennie desire to get land?
8. About what did Candy want to talk to Lennie?
9. Where is George’s money going, according to Crooks.
10. Who visits Crooks, Candy, and Lennie?
11. What do we learn about Curley’s wife?
12. Before Curley’s wife leaves, what does she notice about Lennie?
13. What does Curley’s wife say she could have done to Crooks?
14. What is the last thing Crooks says to Candy?
V. Paragraph: write a paragraph answer to the following questions. Use quotes from the book to support your answer.
15. How is the theme of loneliness developed in this chapter? Think about the characters Lennie, Crooks, Candy, and Curley’s wife.