Of Mice and Men: Chapter 2 Reading and Study Guide
I. VOCABULARY: Be able to define the following words and understand them when they appear in the novel.
swamper handyman; someone who performs odd jobs—such as cleaning. Refers to the character Candy
tick mattress covering
stable buck a stable is a building where horses are kept. A buck, in this case, is a derogatory word for
a black man. A stable buck, then, would be a black man who works in a stable.
skinner a mule driver
II. LITERARY TERMS: Be able to define each term and apply each term to the novel.
What is an example of something ironic from this chapter?______________________________
III. QUESTIONS: answer the following questions. Use complete sentences.
1. According to the old man, why was the boss mad at George and Lennie?
2. What does George find in the box by his bed and what does he assume?
3. Describe the “stable buck.” What physical attributes does he have? What does the boss use him for?
4. Describe the fight between the “stable buck” and Smitty.
5. What is Lennie’s last name?
6. What does the boss suspect George of doing to Lennie? What makes him think this?
7. What reason does George give for taking care of Lennie?
8. What is George’s last name?
9. Who is Curley?
10. What does the swamper tell George about Curley’s left hand?
11. Describe Curley’s wife.
12. Why does she come into the bunkhouse?
13. Describe Slim. What is his job on the ranch? What are some of his character traits?
14. What did Slim do to four of his pups? Why?
15. What does Lennie want George to ask Slim?
IV. SHORT ESSAY: write a paragraph answer to the following questions. Use quotes from the book to support your answer.
16. Describe the atmosphere of the ranch and bunkhouse. Be sure to include characteristics of different characters that were formally or informally introduced to us in this chapter.