Of Mice and Men: Chapter 1 Reading and Study Guide
I. VOCABULARY: Be able to define the following words and understand them when they appear in the novel.
bindle [slang] a bundle, as of bedding, carried by a hobo
jack [slang] money
II. Allusions and historical references:
Soledad a coastal California city about 130 miles south of San Francisco.
Salinas River a river that flows through Soledad and into Monterey Bay
Weed a northern California mining town
watchin’ that blackboard employment agencies would post available jobs on a blackboard in front of their offices. Prospective employees would watch the blackboard for any new jobs.
work cards a job assignment from an employment agency would be written on a work card to be presented by the worker to the employer.
III. LITERARY TERMS: Be able to define each term and apply each term to the novel.
What is the setting of this novel? __________________________________________________
point of view_________________________________________________________________________
From what point of view is the story told?____________________________________________
IV. QUESTIONS: answer the following questions. Use complete sentences.
1. Where did the bus drop the two men off?
2. How is George described?
3. How is Lennie described?
4. What does Lennie do with the water that makes him proud of himself?
5. What does Lennie not have in his pocket?
6. Why does Lennie not have it in his pocket?
7. What does Lennie take out of his pocket that gets him yelled at by George?
8. What did Lennie want to do with this item?
9. Where are George and Lennie going?
10. From where are George and Lennie coming?
11. When they get to where they are going, what does George tell Lennie to do?
12. Why did George and Lennie leave the last place they were at?
13. When Lennie goes out to get wood for a fire, what does he bring back that George takes away?
14. Who used to give Lennie mice?
15. Why did she stop giving Lennie mice?
16. What does Lennie want with his dinner that they don’t have?
17. What does George imply happened in Weed with the girl?
18. What dream does George and Lennie share?
19. Where does George tell Lennie to go if he gets in trouble?
V. Paragraph: write a paragraph answer to the following question. Use quotes to support your answer.
20. Explain the relationship that exists between George and Lennie based on Chapter 1 of the book.