Eng 10-2 Merchant of
Answer the following questions in COMPLETE SENTENCES, and using PARAGRAPH form:
1. What is anti-Semitism?
2. What is the difference between religious anti-Semitism, racial anti-Semitism, and "new" anti-Semitism?
3. Name and describe TWO of the earliest recorded instances of anti-Semitism. What makes these instances anti-Semitic?
4. Provide TWO examples of anti-Semitism in the New Testament. What makes these passages anti-Semitic?
5. What is a "passion play," and how are passion plays often anti-Semitic?
6. Explain how TWO examples from early Christian practice are anti-Semitic.
7. What is "deicide"? Why are Jews often accused of deicide by Christians?
8. Describe THREE instances of anti-Semitism during the middle ages, and explain how each example is anti-Semitic.
9. What is blood libel? Why were Jews thought to be guilty of blood libel?
10. What restrictions were placed on Jews trying to make a living in the middle ages?
11. What clothing restrictions were placed on Jews during the middle ages? What similar restrictions were placed upon them under Hitler in the 1930's and early 40's?
12. What were the Crusades? Describe THREE things that happened to the Jews during the Crusades that were anti-Semitic, and explain why.
13. How were the Jews demonized?
14. What was the Black Death? Explain ONE instance of anti-Semitism during the Black Death.
15. How is it that the Lutheran church has anti-Semitic beginnings?
16. Provide evidence that the Roman Catholic Church has been anti-Semitic in the 19th and 20th centuries.
17. Provide and explain THREE examples of anti-Semitism from the Qur'an, hadith, or from Muslim relations with Jews in history.
18. Why might bans on the kosher slaughter of animals be considered anti-Semitic?
19. Describe TWO modern (21st century) examples of anti-Semitism.
20. Do you think Shakespeare's play, The Merchant of Venice, is anti-Semitic? Why or why not?